Marcy-Holmes sees several broken car windows

Also, a University student stopped a man from breaking into her house Saturday.

Several Marcy-Holmes residents had their car windows smashed in the last week, according to Minneapolis police reports.

Jen Klabo said she heard her car alarm go off early Friday morning but didn’t think anything of it because she’d accidentally set it off before.

The former University student saw someone had broken into her car later that day when she went to work, according to a Minneapolis police report.

Nothing was taken from the car, the report said, but Klabo said she saw shoe marks in the sand near her car.

“My entire rear passenger window was shattered,” she said. “They definitely crawled through my car.”

Andy Schnabel saw Saturday morning the front passenger window of his car had been smashed.

The only thing stolen from the car was an empty computer bag, according to a Minneapolis police report. Schnabel, who is not affiliated with the University, said he was more upset about the window.

“That sucked to repair,” he said.

A University student left her vehicle parked on Ninth Avenue Southeast on Friday night, according to a Minneapolis police report.

Early Saturday morning, the student returned to find her back windshield shattered. Nothing was missing, according to the report.

Thefts from Blarney

Two women had their belongings stolen last weekend at Blarney Pub and Grill, according to Minneapolis police reports.

A University student was singing karaoke early Friday morning and set her cellphone next to her, one report said. After finishing the song, the student noticed her phone was gone.

Another woman had her phone and wallet stolen when she was at Blarney on Friday night, according to a police report.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer said bar thefts can happen quickly, so it’s best for patrons to keep their belongings close and be aware of their surroundings.

“From the time that somebody wants to take your cell phone until it’s hidden could just be literally two or three seconds,” Palmer said.

Student stops break-in

A University of Minnesota student stopped a man from breaking into her home on 15th Avenue Southeast early Saturday morning, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The woman was sleeping on her couch when she heard the man opening her window, which was closed but unlocked. She yelled at the suspect, and he ran away, the report said.

Palmer said police see a lot of break-ins during the day because the potential thieves expect homes to be empty.

“Most burglars don’t want anything to do with people,” he said.

Party thefts

Three Marcy-Holmes residents had their valuables stolen from separate parties after strangers showed up, according to Minneapolis police reports.

University alumna Kaila Narum was at a party on May 31 at 14th Avenue Southeast when her friends let a man into the house, one report said.

“He was the only one we didn’t know,” Narum said. “He said he was locked out of his apartment.”

Narum’s mother texted her early the next morning to tell her someone had used her credit card to buy food and pay for a taxi, the report said. Narum then canceled all of her credit cards.

A University student had his wallet stolen the same night from a party on 11th Avenue Southeast, a Minneapolis police report said.

After hearing a laptop had been stolen from the party, the student went inside to check on his belongings, the report said. He saw people running away from the party and noticed his wallet and phone missing.

Jimmy Notto’s laptop went missing June 1 after his roommate had friends and family over to their Stadium View apartment, according to a Minneapolis police report.

“I had arranged for one of my friends to pick up my laptop,” the Art Institutes International Minnesota student said, and when the friend came by early the next morning it was still there.

Later that day, Notto’s friend returned and the laptop was gone. Notto said his roommate didn’t know one of the people who had been at the house the night before.

“We do see a fair amount of that ‘uninvited guest’ or … ‘friend of a friend’ type of thing,” said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner. “First rule of thumb would be not to allow people you don’t know into your residence.”

Assault at Fairview

A University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview patient assaulted two emergency room staff June 5, according to a University police report.

“The patient was intoxicated and under the influence of some narcotics,” Miner said, and was violently pushing staff and swearing at them.

Miner said the patient is not affiliated with the University.