IT magazine rakes in awards

Writers for the science magazine, Minnesota Technolog, took home awards in nine of 11 categories in a national awards convention Sunday.
Technolog is the Institute of Technology’s student magazine. It focuses on science and engineering. Published five times a year, the magazine was first printed at the University in 1920.
Magazine co-advisor Paul Sorenson, IT’s director of communications, and three students picked up the awards for last year’s issues at the Engineering College Magazines Associated convention held in Madison, Wis.
Students took first place in best all-around and single issue editorials and for best science article. The magazine also won awards in best all-around magazine, most improved magazine and best art and photography.
A panel of professional journalists and academic experts from around the country chose the winners.
Jackie Couillard, the magazine’s editor, said Technolog has garnered 50 first-place awards since 1974.
“I’m very proud of the students who produced the magazine; it’s a lot of work,” Sorenson said.
For aerospace engineering senior Dorothea Szernik, working for Technolog is a labor of love.
Szernik said she realized working at the magazine was a great opportunity after meeting with students from the California Institute of Technology, the University of California-Berkeley and other schools at the convention. As president of IT’s board of publication, Szernik supervises the magazine.
Sorenson and the students said they hope the awards will give Technolog a higher profile. The magazine is produced by 12 to 15 writers.
“We want to let students know we’re out here,” said Couillard, a geology and journalism senior.