Bush defends Gulf war role, backs Clinton

George Bush, the subject of impressions as President of the United States, did some impersonations of his own Thursday night at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
Bush, who was president from 1989 to 1993, spoke about family values and foreign affairs before the Minnesota Family Council, helping celebrate the conservative organization’s 15th anniversary. He threw in impressions of Dana Carvey, a former Saturday Night Live cast member, and H. Ross Perot, the Reform Party founder and presidential challenger.
Bush told the 1,350 onlookers at the $75-a-plate reception that breakdown of the American family was the biggest problem facing the nation.
“What happens in your house is as important as what happens in the White House,” Bush said, reiterating a theme often espoused by his wife Barbara.
Although many University students could not afford the ticket price, the Minnesota Family Council donated several tables to students involved in conservative and Christian groups.
“It’s good to be around so many conservative people at one setting. At the University, you usually don’t get that chance,” said Ben Bowman, sophomore in the Carlson School of Management.
Bush drew his first applause of the night when he commented on current events in Iraq. He defended his action in the Gulf War while getting behind President Clinton during this standoff.
Some claim that America should have continued fighting in 1991 until Saddam Hussein was killed. Bush maintained America completed its mission, “with merciful limitation on loss of American life.”
Clinton faces a dilemma, Bush said, but declined to comment on specific actions because he is no longer briefed with all of the details.
“I will support him as long as there is one American that will come in harm’s way” without action, Bush pledged.
President Clinton on Thursday halted all foreign travel by his top aides. The decision, which will indefinitely postpone South American and South African trips by Vice President Al Gore and Secretary of Defense William Cohen, signals that the situation in the Gulf could be nearing a crucial point.
“In coming days I want my full national security team on hand to take part in our deliberations and decisions on this vitally important issue,” Clinton said.
— This report contains information from the Associated Press.