Daily Digest: Robberies; International students

Greetings digesters! Only one full week of school left with two half weeks after this week is complete. Not that I am counting, but like many of you, I am looking forward to a little more free time and family. Anyone doing anything fun over break? Let me know (though it may be a little early to ask). On to digestion:

• *There have been a lot of stories of high numbers of international students at Minnesota colleges, but we won’t go into that since it has been covered in the Daily and many other outlets. But WCCO has a report about the University of Minnesota ranking No. 23 overall for number of international students enrolled.
  • *Several robberies near the University recently, involving U students (as you may have in the e-mail sent out by the University Police Chief). WCCO had a report about women getting robbed and the Daily has a story on the recent crimes as well, including one that was an attempted rape in Marcy-Holmes. Look for the interviews with some of the victims. Be safe out there folks, and try not to travel alone late at night.
  • *Time.com did a story on the Coleman and Franken recount, and includes the University’s very own Larry Jacobs, who is director of the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance. The story explores the current situation and what is at state. The recount begins tomorrow.

That’s all for now. We’ll try to get these out a little earlier in the day to keep you up to speed. See you back tomorrow.