Sigma Pi honors ‘unsung heroes’

The fraternity hosted their annual dinner for Facilities Management staff.

From greasing squeaky chairs to ensuring that campus buildings have power, some students may not realize how much it takes to keep the University of Minnesota up and running. On Friday, Sigma Pi Fraternity hosted their fourth annual dinner for about 300 of the UniversityâÄôs âÄúunsung heroesâÄù âÄî the Facilities Management staff. âÄúNo one really knows how much they do in the background to keep our campus clean and organized and pretty much just keep it running,âÄù said Aaron Katz, member of Sigma Pi and project chairman. Sigma Pi created the concept for the event four years ago as part of a philanthropy project called the âÄúAltruistic Campus ExperienceâÄù so that the fraternity could give back to the University community. This year, the fraternity spent roughly $800 on burgers, chips, salad and other food for the event. University Dining Services gave $250 to put toward the dinner, and McDonalds donated cups and drinks. Members of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority also helped out at the event and spent some time conversing with Facilities Management staff. Brad Hoff, chief administrative officer for Facilities Management, said the dinner is a much-appreciated gesture for the custodial staff. âÄúYouâÄôre doing a job that is incredibly valuable and would be missed if you werenâÄôt doing it,âÄù Hoff said. âÄúAnd yet itâÄôs not often that you get a thank you from folks.âÄù Mathewos Ghebeye has been working for Facilities Management for 10 years. He helps clean and maintain the Variety Club Research Center. Ghebeye, who has attended the dinner for the past three years, said he enjoys seeing different faces and being able to sit down and chat with University students. âÄúItâÄôs just kind of a great way of mixing folks that might not otherwise have a chance to do that,âÄù Hoff said. Sigma Pi member Daniel Zdrazil said one of the Facilities Management staff members even remembered his name and major from a past yearâÄôs dinner. âÄúWe basically picked up our conversation from the previous year,âÄù Zdrazil said.