Studt hoping April success continues on into May

It’s May.

A time when the sun, the birds and collegiate track stars all come seemingly out of nowhere to light up the summer.

Few collegiate track stars have come on as strongly this spring as 6-foot-3, 250-pound sophomore Aaron Studt.

The 19-year-old throwing standout, whom coach Phil Lundin calls “a great kid”, has been just as great on the field for the Gophers this year, competing in the shot put, hammer throw and discus.

Studt had a spectacular month of April, setting a personal record of 62 feet, 7 1/2 inches, and winning his second and third Big Ten Athlete of the Week awards.

Studt won three gold medals in the shot put and one in the hammer in April.

“I waited all indoor season knowing that this is the level I should be performing at,” Studt said. “April was one of the best months of my life as an athlete.”

Studt has already continued his streak into May, throwing 58-7 1/4 to win the shot put at the Iowa Musco Classic May 3.

Great expectations

Studt, a native of Ripon, Wis., came to the University in 2006 as one of the best prep track athletes in the country.

At Ripon High School, Studt was an All-American, All-State, two-event Wisconsin high school state champion and the Gatorade Wisconsin High School Track Athlete of the Year.

He made an instant impact for the Gophers, competing in 10 outdoor meets and seven indoor meets as a true freshman.

He finished fifth in the Big Ten in outdoor discus, and set the Minnesota freshman record for indoor hammer throw.

A true team player

Aaron Studt is just happy to be where he is.

“I’m glad to have an opportunity to call myself a student athlete at the U,” he said.

Studt takes that same approach to his training.

He said in high school, he was motivated but has taken it upon himself to raise the level even higher in college.

“Every decision I make outside of practice and meets is to make myself a better athlete,” Studt said. “I see every practice as an opportunity to get better.”

All-American and team captain Ibrahim Kabia said exactly the same thing about Studt.

“When I see what he does in the weight room, it inspires me to do more,” Kabia said.

Endlessly humble, Studt said he would undoubtedly prefer a Big Ten championship for the team than any personal accolade.

“I’m not here to glorify myself,” Studt said. “I’m here to humble myself and represent the University the best I can.”

Studt said few people know that when he was four he was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes.

“Managing that and taking care of my body has become another part of my training,” he said.

Studt attributes a large part of his success to his parents, Tim and Laurie.

“My mom and dad have been a constant support,” he said. “That’s something you don’t always realize, but I can’t thank them enough.”