Gophers linebacker stabbed eight times

Sarah McKenzie

A freshman Gopher football player was stabbed at a north Minneapolis dance club early Sunday morning, according to Minneapolis police reports.
Marlon Colbert, 19, was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center after he was assaulted at The Quest Club at 110 5th St. N. shortly before 2 a.m.
He was listed in satisfactory condition at the hospital on Wednesday. Colbert, originally from Detroit, Mich., is a linebacker for the Gophers and was red-shirted last year.
Surrounded by friends, flowers and balloons in his hospital room Wednesday, Colbert appeared in good spirits and was quick to smile while conversing with his visitors.
A large patch over his right eye covered injuries he sustained during the assault.
Colbert said he did not want to comment on the specifics of the stabbing because he said it might jeopardize the police investigation.
According to police reports, another Michigan man was stabbed at the club. Lawrence Foote, 18, was not in the hospital on Wednesday.
Foote is not affiliated with the University.
Terrence Floyd, a junior offensive lineman for the Gophers, said he was at the club with Colbert when the stabbing occurred. He said a fight broke out between bar patrons just before the stabbings.
“(Marlon) was minding his own business,” Floyd said. “He was just an innocent bystander.”
Floyd said Colbert was in very serious condition after the assault but has steadily improved during the week.
“He’s going to be home soon,” Floyd said. “I just talked to him on the phone and he is doing alright.”
The incident is still under investigation. No suspect information was listed on the police report.
Minneapolis police Sgt. Mike Green, the investigator assigned to the case, said he had no comment on the stabbings.
Officers responded to a 911 call from the dance club shortly after the knifings. The caller told police that an unknown male had suffered a head injury inside the club, according to police reports.
When police arrived, officers found the two stabbing victims. The report states that the suspect or suspects were gone when officers arrived at the club.
No knife or other evidence was gathered at the crime scene, according to police reports.