Police lack suspects in local sub shop burglary

A burglar stole almost $500 in cash from Erbert & Gerbert’s Subs & Clubs on Thursday, Minneapolis police said. The money, including $80 in quarters, was taken from a locked safe.
Manager Blake Hanson said the sub shop was locked up shortly after closing at 2 a.m. No evidence of a break-in was found; the building remained locked until about 9 a.m. when employees discovered the missing cash.
Eight employees have keys to the door and the safe, Hanson said.
But Hanson didn’t think the burglar was an employee.
“The door can be locked from the inside and we don’t have an alarm system,” Hanson said.

In other police news:
ù An assistant professor was taken to Fairview-University Medical Center after a misstep last Wednesday.
Jennifer Obst, who works for the department of communication and educational technology at University Extension Services, stepped back from her desk, tripped over a phone cord, fell backward and hit her head on a table, according to a University Police report.
The 51-year-old woman was treated for a two-inch head wound and released, officials said.

ù Incoming University freshmen staying on campus during orientation Thursday accidentally started a small fire at Comstock Hall, a residence hall official said.
When the students plugged in a clock radio, a spark from the outlet started a bed on fire. The students put out the fire before University Police and firefighters arrived, said Lisa Schulte, associate director of Housing and Residential Life.
No one was injured.

ù A recliner, a marijuana bong and beer cans were discovered Wednesday in the trees behind the St. Paul Natural Resources Administration Building by a group of 9- and 10-year-old children, according to a University Police report.

ù A 41-year-old man was arrested by University Police after begging for money and telling people he had a gun at the intersection of Fulton and Oak streets Southeast.
The man was booked at Hennepin County Jail for disorderly conduct.