UC Regents approve 30 percent fee increases over two years

After months of protesting by faculty, staff and students, the University of California Board of Regents approved two consecutive fee increases today.

According to a press release put out by the university, fees will increase for the 2010 spring semester and again before the 2010-11 academic year begins.

The new fees will be levied in two stages. Undergraduates and graduate professional school students will see an increase of 15 percent, or $585, in the winter/spring 2010 terms. Fees for graduate academic students will rise 2.6 percent, or $111. All students will see an additional 15 percent increase, or $1,334, beginning summer 2010.

Source: UC Newsroom

The student regent cast the only opposing vote.

UC President Mark Yudof said the fees come as a direct consequence of decreased funding from the state.

Next year, UC expects a $1.2 billion state funding gap. Along with the fee increases, the 2010 UC budget calls for $913 million to end employee furlough days, take back program cuts, etc.

About a third of the money generated from the fee increases will go toward financial aid, the press release stated.

According to the Daily Bruin, students have occupied Campbell Hall on the UCLA campus where the regents met in protest since Wednesday night. A crowd also gathered outside the Regents meeting while it took place.