Gophers bounce back with sweep

Minnesota beat Yale 5-1 and 4-1 to rebound from its first loss since February 2012.
Minnesota forward Hannah Brandt skates against North Dakota on Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013, at Ridder Arena.
Image by Ichigo Takikawa, Daily File Photo

The Gophers rebounded from their first loss in 62 games last weekend with a dominating series sweep this weekend at Yale.

Minnesota outshot the Bulldogs 109-38 in the series en route to 5-1 and 4-1 wins.

Gophers junior forward Meghan Lorence said last weekend’s loss had been haunting the team.

“We just wanted to prove that we weren’t going to let that get us down and kind of took it to Yale out of frustration,” Lorence said.

Sophomore forward Hannah Brandt said it was exciting to see how the team responded coming off the loss, which snapped the Gophers’ unprecedented 62-game winning streak.

“I think we were all definitely highly motivated this week to prove who we are as a team,” Brandt said.

The Gophers got off to a slow start in last weekend’s loss, allowing three goals in the first period. Head coach Brad Frost said starting quickly was a point of emphasis for the team against Yale.

Minnesota has given up 13 first-period goals so far this year, as opposed to just 10 all of last season.

“[In] the first period — it’s been all year, not just last weekend against North Dakota — we’ve been struggling,” Brandt said. “That was definitely a focus.”

Minnesota got on the board at the 7:26 mark Saturday with a goal from freshman forward Dani Cameranesi. It scored twice more in the first period, cementing the lead.

The Gophers scored early again Sunday, jumping out to a quick lead off a power-play goal from freshman Megan Wolfe. The Gophers scored two more goals later in the period.

Brandt said another focus this weekend was having a strong second game.

“Our second games have been pretty bad recently as opposed to our first,” she said.

That wasn’t the case Sunday, when the Gophers outshot Yale 52-18 and dominated play.

Minnesota had 18 skaters dressed, which allowed Frost to tinker with his lineup.

Lorence saw time this weekend with Brandt and junior forward Rachael Bona.

On Sunday, Lorence, Brandt and Bona each had a goal and two assists in the win.

“Me and Rachael have had a different winger the past few weekends here,” Brandt said, “and it definitely clicked with Meghan right away.”

The Gophers return home to face Princeton next weekend at Ridder Arena.

Frost records 200th victory

Frost recorded his 200th win in 253 games as Minnesota’s head coach Saturday.

It was a nice milestone, he said, but not one he set out with the intention of reaching.

“It was more to impact the lives of the kids I come in contact with each day,” Frost said, “and hopefully I’ve been able to do that.”