Police arrest suspects in November robbery, another student assaulted in Dinkytown

The latest crime occurred late Thursday night outside CVS Pharmacy.

While an attempted robbery of a student Thursday adds to a list of violent crimes prompting alerts this year, University of Minnesota police announced Friday they arrested several suspects in other crimes.

This week, University police arrested the last two of three suspects of a Nov. 20 assault and robbery of a student.

In that incident, the student was walking near Essex and Ontario streets southeast around 9 p.m. when a man approached and punched him in the face, knocking him unconscious and stealing his backpack, laptop and wallet, according to a previous Minnesota Daily story.

University police arrested the first suspect Dec. 18 after executing a search warrant, according to a public safety alert sent to faculty, staff and students. Two of the suspects admitted they committed the crime after police brought them in for questioning, and police booked all three in jail for robbery.

Two hours after the New Year began, University police also stopped a robbery just north of Dinkytown, arresting two suspects, according to the University News Service.

Assault and attempted robbery near CVS Pharmacy

In an unrelated case, a University student was the victim of an assault and attempted robbery at the intersection of Fourth Street Southeast and Fifteenth Avenue Southeast just before midnight on Thursday.

A suspect came up to the victim, punched him and told the student he had a gun, according to the crime alert sent to faculty, staff and students Friday afternoon. Two more suspects then came and tried to take the victim’s wallet.

When a witness arrived on the scene, the suspects ran to a four-door, white sedan parked behind CVS Pharmacy, which headed east on University Avenue Southeast, according to the alert.

While the first suspect did knock the student to the ground, he wasn’t seriously injured, the alert said, and they didn’t steal his belongings.

This was the 17th crime alert sent for 23 crimes since the beginning of fall semester.