Greeks kick off rush week

As a freshman, Kerry O’Brien was skeptical of the greek system. But encouraged by two high school friends, she participated in the sorority recruitment process five years ago.
Now a Gamma Phi Beta alumna and Panhellenic Council president, O’Brien offers this piece of advice to women during Recruitment Week which is currently underway: “Try it out, you’ll be surprised because you may find some place that feels like home.”
During spring quarter, more than 685 women, roughly 5 to 6 percent of the female undergraduate population, were in a sorority, said Kathy Ungerman, a Greek Affairs advisor.
Last year’s membership reached an eight-year high and O’Brien believes the numbers will continue to rise.
Fighting negative stereotypes
But sororities continue to fight negative stereotypes members say are unfairly rendered.
Heidi Andres, a junior in the Carlson School of Management, said she isn’t interested in joining a sorority because of the number of negative perceptions associated with them.
“They are constantly portrayed poorly by the media,” she said.
O’Brien is both disappointed and frustrated by this assumption. She maintains that sorority women are honest, intelligent and ethical, and do not personify the stereotypical negative image.
O’Brien said the Panhellenic Council is making community-wide efforts to dispel those negative stereotypes.
Last year the Council brought in a speaker on the misuse of alcohol. In January a speaker on sexual violence is slated to speak, and the Council is coordinating efforts to disseminate information on breast cancer awareness.
Individual chapters also conduct their own philanthropy projects, volunteering their time with charities such as the Children’s Cancer Charity and the Ronald McDonald House.
For CLA sophomore Meaghan McCormick, the professional contacts members have with alumnae is the most valuable part of the sorority life. As an elementary education major, McCormick hopes to develop professional ties to alumnae in the field she is pursuing.
Kristin Lohn, president of Delta Delta Delta, said her house holds a career night each year, which is designed to foster a professional relationship with alumnae in the workforce.
Recruitment Week
Junior transfer student Erin Galbraith, is eager to explore the wealth of new opportunities available to her at the University, including greek life.
From last Friday to next Sunday, Galbraith and the rest of the University’s female population are invited to participate in the University Sororities’ recruitment process.
Galbraith is starting her first quarter in the College of Biological Sciences this fall since transferring from Anoka-Ramsey Community College. She lives off campus and is concerned about meeting people.
As soon as she was admitted to the University, Galbraith received information about recruitment from the Panhellenic Council, the University sorority chapters’ governing body. She plans to take part in the recruitment process to learn more about greek life and its mentoring and professional aspects.
Yet Galbraith has concerns about cost, which varies for each chapter, and is not interested in parties or hazing. She hopes the recruitment programs will answer her questions.
During the recruitment period, participants will visit each of the University’s ten sorority chapter houses to meet house members and gather information regarding the chapters’ philosophies and living situations.
After the house visitation sessions, participants meet at Coffman Union to list which houses they wish to be considered by. Chapter members meet and select which participants they will encourage to join by extending a bid, or formal invitation.
Participants might or might not be chosen by their first choice. Once the bids are issued, the participants can choose to accept or decline each invitation. If a participant accepts her bid, she agrees to pledge that particular chapter.
Different from fraternities
This selection process is one of the many differences between the sorority and fraternity systems.
Chris Czech, vice president of recruitment at Delta Upsilon fraternity, said fraternities recruit very informally; friends of friends just stop by the houses.
The recruitment period is the only time fraternities can’t consume alcohol in their houses. But the sororities must abide by an alcohol-free policy in their houses year-round.
“It’s an insurance issue more than anything,” O’Brien said, adding that alcohol is not what being in a sorority is about.
In general, fraternities have a less stringent set of rules to abide by, Czech said. Fraternities have an open visitation policy regarding guests of the opposite sex, where as for sororities it is more limiting.
While fraternity houses appear worn due to the high amount of people coming in and out, sorority members like to keep their houses “nice and homey,” O’Brien said.
Lohn said approximately 98 percent of the members in her sorority live in the house. It is a good environment for women to grow because members live with other members at a variety of different ages and maturity levels, she said.