Culture compass: the holiday spirit, hip-hop’s latest and murder

Gunthar Reising

Friday: Murder Mystery

Is it a play, puzzle or game? The Murder Mystery Company is leading a “murder investigation” in Coffman Union’s Great Hall. In this interactive performance, the audience doesn’t just watch the mystery unfold — they’re involved in the plot themselves. And if murder isn’t enough to get you there, Angel Food Bakery will be providing cupcakes.

Where: Coffman Memorial Union, 300 Washington Ave. SE, Minneapolis

When: 8 p.m.

Cost: Free with U-Card

Saturday: College of Science and Engineering Winter Light Show

With the holidays just around the corner, the College of Science and Engineering is doing its part to get the campus in the holiday spirit. The light show is designed by students and features 250,000 LED lights choreographed to music, some of which is written and performed by University of Minnesota students.

Where: Civil Engineering Building, 55 Crosspoint Parkway, Minneapolis

When: 5:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Sunday: Monster Jam

Feeling stressed about finals? Angry at a professor? Just like watching metal on metal? Monster Jam is where you’ll want to be this Sunday. Monster trucks, explosions and loud music — it’s every 9-year-old’s dream. With finals looming, it might also be just what the doctor ordered — getting lost in the euphoria of senseless entertainment.

Where: U.S. Bank Stadium, 401 Chicago Ave., Minneapolis

When: 3:30 p.m.

Cost: $26-100

CULTURE TO CONSUME

Listen to this: “Awaken, My Love!”

Childish Gambino’s latest album, released Dec. 2, has a supernatural beat and a groove reminiscent of Outkast — the record is bringing hip-hop in a new direction that’ll make you want to get jiggy. With his directorial debut in “Atlanta,” it’s been a big year for Donald Glover. The release of “Awaken, My Love!” is the perfect capstone to an ambitious 2016.

Wear this: An ugly sweater

In case you didn’t get the hint from your roommate, who’s already been playing Christmas music for two months, the holidays are right around the corner. There’s no better way to celebrate the holiday season than wearing a festive sweater. Let the world know that, despite the impending doom of finals, you’re no Scrooge. Although wearing a sweater certainly doesn’t require a joyous personality.

Watch this: J. Cole’s “Eyez” documentary

He’s one of the most sincere voices in hip-hop, he’s got a crooked smile, he went double platinum with no features — it’s J. Cole! The singer is back with a new 40-minute documentary that reveals his music-making process. The film offers a taste of his newest album, “4 Your Eyez Only,” which is scheduled to drop on iTunes Dec. 9.