Crime Digest: A weekly look at off-campus crime stories

This post is the first in a soon-to-be weekly blog that looks at notable crime stories outside of the University of Minnesota community.

Sexual assault near downtown university

Minneapolis police are investigating a sexual assault reported just off the North Central University campus in downtown Minneapolis this weekend.  According to the Star Tribune, a woman was “touched” and “grabbed” Friday at 10 p.m. near the corner of 10th Street and Centennial Place. The Strib couldn’t specify if the victim was a student, but said North Central has issued an e-mail warning to students and faculty informing them of the incident.

A serial Subway robber? 

If this trend continues, Minneapolis police may have a serial-Subway robber on their hands.  According to the Star Tribune, police believe the same man has robbed two Subway restaurant locations this month — one in Maple Grove and one on the 3500 block of Cedar Avenue S.  The theory that the incidents are connected is based on a physical description of the suspect caught on video and his “actions of nervousness.”

People charged with swindling more than $200,000 from 79-year-old man

Two people have been charged with multiple accounts of theft by swindle after scamming a 79-year-old Minneapolis man out of more than $200,000, KARE 11 reports.  According to the report, people were not only taking money from the victim, but were living at his house.  Police predict the economic crisis will breed similar incidents in the future.