Fraternity search nets stolen goods

Police searched two rooms at the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity house June 7 for stolen University computer equipment, according to a search warrant.
The warrant stated that police had reason to believe that two University students might be involved in stealing computer equipment valued at $9,080.
The search occurred before the students left school for the summer.
Police searched the room of a College of Biological Sciences junior. There, they confiscated a disk drive worth $540 as well as two disks.
Police also searched the room of a Carlson School of Management senior where they confiscated an identical drive and two disks.
Equipment worth a total of $1,080 was confiscated. The warrant indicates police hoped to find four additional hard drives worth a total of $8,000, but these were not discovered in the rooms.
The warrant states that one of the suspects works at the bookstore in Williamson Hall, where he is believed to have taken invoices for equipment that had already been purchased by the College of Agriculture. The other suspect allegedly filled out the invoices and illegally picked up the equipment, according to the warrant.
The drives, worth $8,000, were stolen from the bookstore in a similar way, according to the warrant.
Police received a “reliable tip” that the $540 disk drives could be found in the students’ rooms. The tip came from an unnamed person who claims to have overheard the suspects talking about the thefts, according to the warrant.
The person also said he had seen both missing hard drives in the suspects’ rooms, according to the warrant.
The suspects could not be reached for comment.

In other police news:
ù Police arrested three men who climbed a construction crane June 12 at 319 19th Ave. S., near Mariucci Arena. The men climbed the crane, then refused to come down.
The men were arrested for disorderly conduct and trespassing. None of the three males — ages 21, 18 and 16 — are University students.
ù A kiosk was set on fire Thursday in front of Smith Hall. Minneapolis firefighters put out the blaze. Police have no leads.
ù Police stopped a 23-year-old College of Liberal Arts senior Thursday for speeding. The police report said the man appeared to have been drinking. He was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Police learned the man’s license had been revoked for a prior DWI conviction.
ù The fire department responded to a fire alarm June 11 at Walter Library after a person reported to a librarian that he smelled smoke. The fire department arrived and found no signs of fire.
ù Police detained a man after two women reported that he was masturbating near the Washington Avenue Bridge on Friday. The women refused to go through the citizen’s arrest process, so the suspect was released. No charges were filed.
ù Police stopped a woman in the first floor bathroom of Anderson Hall on Thursday after receiving a complaint. The woman told police that she was doing her laundry, according to the police report. The report said police have had similar contacts with this woman before. She was issued a trespass warning. The woman is not a University student.
ù Officers stopped a suspicious-looking man Monday, according to a police report. The report said the man, 36, has prior bike thefts on his record. A background check showed the man had outstanding warrants, and he was arrested.
ù A woman, 24, tripped on the athletic fields and “snapped her left ankle” Thursday, according to a police report. An ambulance arrived and took her to the hospital.