by Melanie Evans

and Scott M. Larson

A second-year University Medical School student and Boy Scout troop supervisor was arrested and charged with sexually assaulting a juvenile male who was a member of the troop.
Alan Michael Scott, 26, of St. Paul was arrested Monday in Edina and held on $75,000 bail. He posted bail and was released Thursday.
“I didn’t do this. I am innocent,” Scott said Sunday. “This is wrecking my life.”
Scott has no prior criminal record in Hennepin County.
According to a complaint filed Wednesday in Hennepin County District Court, the alleged assaults began in 1995 when the victim was 13, and continued through 1997.
The complaint said some of the incidents occurred at a Boy Scout camp in northern Minnesota and at Scott’s house in St. Paul.
The alleged victim stated in the complaint that Scott would pick him up for Boy Scout meetings and they would end up at Scott’s house, where he would provide alcohol for the boy.
Some of the assaults occurred in the boy’s home while Scott was baby-sitting him, according to the complaint. The boy and his parents filed the complaint.
The Medical School is investigating the matter, said Dr. Greg Vercelotti, the Medical School’s senior associate dean for education.
“Scott’s status as a student has not changed,” Vercelotti said.
Scott’s status has not changed as an on-call office specialist for the Fairview-University Hospital emergency room. Scott has held the position since January 1, 1997, said Ryan Davenport, spokesperson for Fairview Health Systems.
Edina Police Investigator Mike Lutz said he investigated the case for 10 days before the arrest. The case is not closed, pending investigation of other leads, he added.
He said none of the other leads involved anyone affiliated with the University.
Scott faces counts of felony first, second and third degree criminal sexual conduct. If convicted, the counts carry penalties of up to 70 years in prison and $105,000.
To offer information regarding the case call Lutz at 826-1600 or 826-0484.