International day of climate action

On Oct. 15, a student wrote a fantastic letter to the editor addressing clean energy. I would like to complement it by suggesting people contact Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., rather than Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn. Klobuchar is on three committees with jurisdiction over legislation that would prevent catastrophic climate change, create green jobs and reduce the import of oil. Klobuchar has the power to make decisions about the Clean Energy Jobs and American Power Act of 2009, while Franken can only cast his vote on the act once it is established. Every letter, phone call, postcard and letter to the editor addressing KlobucharâÄôs position on clean energy jobs brings us one step closer to a better future. You can make a difference with a simple phone call or postcard. We are currently at 387 parts per million CO2 within the atmosphere; 350 parts per million is what many scientists, climate experts and progressive national governments are now saying is the safe upper limit for CO2 in our atmosphere. We are heading toward a future where we wonâÄôt have a choice, so we need to act now to make the right decisions, while we still have the opportunity. If you want to feel even more empowered, participate in the International Day of Climate Action on Saturday, Oct. 24. There are events happening all over the Twin Cities, including a few on campus. Check out www.350.org to find actions near you. Kirstin Weber University undergraduate student