Howery wins inagural Jack’s run, Duwell finishes second

Minnesota’s women’s cross country runner Katie Howery won the inaugural Jack’s Run at the Les Bolstad Golf Course Saturday.

Howery ran the five-kilometer course in 18:54.0 to pace the Gophers. Redshirt freshman Megan Duwell finished second with a time of 18:54.8.

The meet was in honor of Jack Johnson, the longtime equipment manager for the Gophers, who passed away last February after a battle with cancer.

The fundraising event raised money to benefit the Jack Johnson Endowed Scholarship and cancer research in the state of Minnesota.

Many teams Johnson worked with during his tenure at Minnesota – including the rowing, wrestling and track teams – participated in the meet.

Men beat Iowa

Minnesota’s men’s swimming and diving team did just about everything right on its way to defeating Big Ten foe Iowa Friday night at the University Aquatic Center.

The 10th-ranked Gophers placed first in every swimming event on their way to an easy 190-101 dual meet victory.

Senior Drew Knoechel and junior David Plummer each won two events for the Gophers. Knoechel finished the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 56.49, and also won the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:04.35.

Plummer clocked in at 49.22 to win the 100-yard backstroke, while Gophers senior Dan Berve was second in 51.39. In the 200-yard backstroke, Plummer won with a time of 1:48.43, while junior Russ Payne finished second in 1:49.31.

Women down Hawkeyes

Like the men’s team, Minnesota women’s swimming and diving team had little trouble in defeating Iowa. The Gophers downed the Hawkeyes 201-91 on Friday at the University Aquatic Center.

Sophomore Christine Jennings led the way for the Gophers, winning two events. Jennings won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:52.18. Jennings also placed first in the 500-yard freestyle in 4:01.02.

Sophomore Brianna Hubbard paced the Gophers in diving, winning both events. In the three-meter, Hubbard placed first with a score of 273.96. Freshman Alexandra Barstad placed second with 267.45. In the one-meter, Hubbard and Barstad once again led the Gophers. Hubbard placed first again with a score of 262.88 and Barstad finished in second with 262.88.

The performances of those underclassmen have diving coach Jason Baumann feeling positive about his team’s position.

“I was really impressed with how our divers did (Friday),” he said. “It was great to see how the freshmen are doing this early in the season. Brianna Hubbard is doing really well after a year of experience under her belt.”