Gophers nab three recruits on Signing Day

Minnesota soccer added a few local stars for next season.

The Minnesota soccer team added three new members to its family Wednesday, signing Alex Koller, Lauren Bauer and MacKenzie Misel on National Signing Day. Feb. 3 marks the opening of fall sports signing period, and the Gophers inked three student-athletes to National Letters of Intent. âÄúI know we have found the perfect fit with these three young women,âÄù head coach Mikki Denney Wright said in a statement. âÄúThey represent everything we hope to find in Gopher recruits âĦ talent, leadership, competitive spirit and an undying passion to be the very best.âÄù Denney Wright was unavailable for further comment for this story. Koller and Bauer are both local recruits, coming from Bloomington Jefferson and Eagan Senior High School, respectively. Koller is a current student at the University and has been working out with the team during her recovery from a torn ACL suffered her senior season. Koller said she is excited to join the 2010 recruiting class and looks forward to competing with the Gophers. âÄúItâÄôs a great school, awesome teammates coupled with a great coaching staff,âÄù Koller said. âÄúI have a lot of respect for [Wright]. I think sheâÄôs a great coach, and IâÄôm really excited to play for her.âÄù Misel joins the Gophers from Ankeny High School in Iowa. Misel was a Gatorade Player of the Year nominee her senior season in addition to being an All-State honoree. Bauer will reunite with her former high school teammate and current Gophers player Angie Olsen . Bauer graduated as EaganâÄôs all-time leader in goals and points, marks previously held by Olsen. Bauer earned first team All-State honors as a senior. âÄúAt Minnesota we focus on recruiting kids that are the right fit,âÄù assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Krystle Kallman said in a press release. âÄúLauren Bauer, MacKenzie Misel and Alex Koller are unbelievable athletes and soccer players who exemplify the hard work and dedication of the current Gopher team.âÄù