Football: quick hitters

Football notes: week of Sept. 4-Sept. 10

-Senior cornerback Troy Stoudemire is just 24 yards shy of breaking the Big Ten record for kick return yards in a career.

Stoudemire has totaled 3,001 return yards in three seasons. The conference record of 3,025 yards is held by receiver David Gilreath, who played at Wisconsin from 2007-2010.

-Redshirt freshman running back Lamonte Edwards carried the ball just one time and had zero rushing yards in SaturdayâÄôs loss to USC. However, it was a different kind of rush âÄî the pass rush âÄî where he showed some mettle.

The coaching staff lined up Edwards on the defensive line in the second half Saturday in a key moment of the game and he helped snuff a screen play.

At his Tuesday press conference, head coach Jerry Kill said Edwards will continue to play running back, but didnâÄôt rule out the possibility of him playing defense later in the season.

Said Kill: âÄúHeâÄôll play running back. First of all we need to get him the darn ball. WeâÄôll do what we have to do to win.âÄù

-It is unclear when sophomore linebacker Brendan Beal will be healthy enough to return to action. Beal, who sat out against the Trojans, has been nursing a sore knee and Kill said it may be a month before he returns.

The injured knee is the same one he had a surgery on to repair an ACL injury.

-Sophomore linebacker Aaron Hill is at âÄúabout 75 percent,âÄù according to Kill and is questionable for SaturdayâÄôs game.

New Mexico State has faced off against four different Big Ten teams in the programâÄôs 118 year history, compiling a record of 0-6. The Aggies were most recently thrashed by Ohio State in 2009 by a score of 45-0.

This weekend marks the first time New Mexico State will play the Gophers.