Stadium Village bank robbed

by Kevin Behr

The US Bank in Stadium Village was robbed Aug. 30.

A man entered the Stadium Village branch, at 718 Washington Ave. S.E., about 9 a.m. and demanded money, according to a police report. He also claimed to have a gun, but no weapon was seen.

FBI agent Paul McCabe said the robber stole an undisclosed amount of money, and that a suspect arrested later that night.

“A number of TV stations aired it on the news,” McCabe said, “and a number of tipsters phoned in.”

The Minneapolis Police Department got one of the tips and arrested the suspect about 11 p.m. Aug. 30 in the 3700 block of 25th Avenue South, McCabe said.

Security camera tapes showed the suspect’s face during the robbery, and his picture was released, Minneapolis Police Lt. Greg Reinhardt said.

McCabe said he credited the “great pictures received from U.S. Bank” with the arrest.

University Police Lt. Charles Miner said it’s rare to see bank robberies near campus.

“It’s a pointless crime,” he said. “You don’t get much money.”

US Bank officials did not comment.

Speed demon
Police said they caught a driver going nearly 80 mph across the Washington Avenue Bridge Saturday afternoon.

An officer clocked the vehicle’s speed at 79 mph with a laser detector as it traveled west toward downtown Minneapolis, according to the police report.

The speed limit on the Washington Avenue Bridge falls from 45 mph to 30 mph partway across the bridge when heading toward campus.

According to the report, the driver was cited with reckless driving, driving after revocation of license and driving an unregistered vehicle.

Reckless driving is up to the discretion of the reporting officer and requires an appearance in court, Miner said.

“It’s pretty rare that we stop somebody going 79 around campus,” he said.

The officer released the suspect at the scene and the car was impounded.

No trespassing
Officers responded to a report of an unwanted person at the Radisson Hotel on Washington Avenue Southeast Friday.

The suspect was a homeless man University police frequently deal with, Miner said.

Front office manager Ben Riley said the man was wandering around the lobby and that he refused to leave.

“He’d been spotted here numerous times,” Riley said. “The guy kept coming back so we called (police).”

Police cited the man with trespassing and released him at the scene, according to the report.