Darwitz honored again by WCHA

Minnesota women’s hockey sophomore forward Natalie Darwitz has been named one of the WCHA offensive players of the week for her stellar performance against Ohio State last weekend. It is her third WCHA honor of the season and the Gophers’ 12th weekly honor this year.

After missing 10 games because of an elbow injury, Darwitz returned to Minnesota’s lineup Friday and the next night scored three goals and assisted on another for a four-point night to help Minnesota win, 6-0. The trio marked her third hat trick of the season and seventh of her career. Her four-on-four goal also proved to be the game-winning mark.

Women’s golf

Minnesota’s women’s golf team is in 15th place after two rounds of the Central District Classic in Parrish, Fla. The Gophers shot rounds of 323-330=653 and trail tournament leader Louisiana State by 60 shots. The tournament is being played at the par-72, 6,009-yard River Wilderness Country Club.

Individually, the Gophers were led by junior Terra Petsinger. Petsinger is tied for 49th after rounds of 76-85=161 (+17). Freshman Sophie Stubbs is tied for 54th at 18-over 162. Sophomore Jessica Thomas is tied for 58th at 163 (85-79). Senior Katie Jacobson is in 63rd place after carding a 169 (+25) and freshman Louise Fleming is tied for 64th at 172.

Men’s golf

Minnesota’s men’s golf team is in sixth place after the second round of the Puerto Rico Classic in Rio Mar, P.R. The Gophers shot a second round 296 giving them a two round total of 8-over 584 (288-296), 21 shots behind tournament leader Oklahoma. The tournament is being played at the par-72, 6,945-yard River Course at the Westin Rio Mar Country Club

Senior All-American Justin Smith shot even par in round two and is tied for fifth place at 4-under 140, three shots behind tournament leader Matt Hendrix of Clemson. Senior David Morgan is tied for 25th at 2-over 146 after carding a second round 74. Freshman Bronson LaCassie is tied for 46th at 4-over 148. Sophomore Ryan Paulson moved up into a tie for 57th after firing a 74 on Tuesday giving him a two round total of 7-over 151. Freshman Clayton Rask is tied for 76th at 13-over 157.