Two armed robberies on campus possibly related

Also, officers were in the right place at the right time for two campus crimes.

Minneapolis police had their hands full this weekend when five armed robberies across south Minneapolis cleaned out the pockets of seven victims, two occurring near the University of Minnesota campus. None of the victims were injured. One victim, a 27-year-old University student, was robbed near 19th Avenue by the West Bank at 1:30 a.m. Saturday. A 21-year-old nonstudent was robbed at Huron Boulevard Southeast 15 minutes later. Minneapolis police are examining the possibility that the crimes may be related, Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer said. âÄúThe two [robberies] on campus sounded alike in time and suspect description and have a high probability of being related,âÄù University police Chief Greg Hestness said. Despite this sudden spike in crime, Palmer said the string of armed robberies do not follow a trend. âÄúWeâÄôve had a 13 percent decrease in violent crimes across the board and aggravated robbery is one of those crimes,âÄù he said. Investigators will attempt to find the suspects by talking to victims, finding vehicles that were involved and âÄústarting investigations from wherever we can,âÄù Palmer said. Although the investigation is underway, Palmer said without new information, there is not a high probability of establishing a lead. âÄúSometimes we donâÄôt have any information, and we have to wait âÄòtil they do it again and get caught, or do it again in front of a camera or something like that,âÄù Palmer said. âÄúThat gets us some leads.âÄù

Police catch drunken thief

At 9:30 p.m. Friday, University police foiled an intoxicated would-be thief that tried to steal a wallet and an iPod from a table at Starbucks Coffee on Washington Avenue. Police caught the thief after the owner of the stolen items, who was chasing him down the street, caught an officerâÄôs attention by flailing his arms in the air and screaming, the police report said. Upon being caught, the suspect showed immediate remorse, stating, âÄúI donâÄôt know why I did it; it was stupid.âÄù The suspect was issued a citation for theft and taken to detox, the police report said.

Burglar caught in act

Around 6:50 a.m. Sunday, Minneapolis police quickly responded to a call and arrested a suspect for allegedly burglarizing a garage on Fifth Avenue in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood. Usually police are not able to catch a burglary in progress because of the fast nature of the crime, Palmer said. The suspect was booked in Hennepin County Jail facing felony burglary charges.