Underexposure of undergrad art

A pivotal aspect of artists’ lives is what they are making and whom they are showing it to.

It has been predicted that this year’s art auction season will be one of the largest ever. November is the month during which many art collectors hope to make eyes with masterpieces for sale. With some auctions estimating more than $300 million in sales, the art market is obviously limited to hedge-fund billionaires.

While it isn’t likely that the average person will be purchasing a work as acclaimed as Willem de Kooning’s “Police Gazette,” which was recently purchased for $63.5 million, art is available to everyone.

We are lucky enough to have both the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, which holds masterpieces from the histories of many world regions and is free, and also the Walker Art Center, which houses a unique contemporary art collection and is free on Thursday nights.

The Twin Cities is also home to many privately owned galleries as well as artist co-ops at historic buildings which often open their doors to the public.

On campus there is a significant visual art presence incorporated by both the Weisman Art Museum and the Katherine E. Nash Gallery in the West Bank Arts Quarter.

However, it seems that what is missing from campus is a way for undergraduate studio artists to show their work. One of the most pivotal aspects of artists’ lives is what they are making and whom they are showing it to. Students who plan to be career artists should be given more opportunities to show their art on campus, maybe even pop prices on it. Perhaps the department of art faculty could showcase chosen student work at the end of each semester. This would give studio students a short-term goal to work toward: getting their art accepted for the show. It would also give other students an opportunity to see their fellow students’ work.

Our University has a literature magazine, daily and weekly publications, athletic events, concert and theater performances, student government and immeasurable other outlets for students to showcase their talents and passions.

Now we want to see some art.