Board to approve 2013 budget this week

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents will meet this week to approve President Eric Kaler’s proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year.

The board will also discuss changes to the student code of conduct and new policies regarding administrative-leave packages. They will convene on Thursday and Friday.

Kaler’s proposed budget includes tuition increases of 3.5 and 4 percent for undergraduate and graduate students, respectively, and a 2.5 percent wage increase for all employment groups at the University, as well as other academic and operational costs.

The board will also receive the report by the Special Committee on Executive Compensation and Administrative Transitional Leaves. The committee met three times in recent months to discuss changes to the way administrative leave is handled at the University, following former President Bob Bruininks’ controversial decision to award $2.8 million in administrative leave packages in 2010.

The student code of conduct was updated by a regents committee on student affairs to include providing alcohol to minors and bullying as disciplinary offenses, as well as to expand the definition of sexual assault.

Several University leaders will be recognized at the meeting, including Kathleen O’Brien, vice president for University Services. O’Brien, who has been at the University since 2002, will retire June 30.

For updates on the board’s decisions, check out mndaily.com.