Heavy buildup of parking tickets

Winter parking restrictions make driving extremely costly.

Parking on campus is already an adventure from hell, and it seems the city of Minneapolis has devised yet another evil plan to make the winter parking game worse. During the months of abundant snow, finding a free parking space is like winning the lottery. Now that parking is banned on all of the even numbered sides of all non-snow-emergency streets it is practically impossible to score one of those coveted gems. As if students donâÄôt fork over enough money for tuition and the cost of living in this metropolis, now some students are being nickel-and-dimed for reasons they were previously unaware of. These new winter parking regulations must be a part of a diabolical scheme conjured by the city to drive people away. That is the only conclusion I have been able to come up with since I learned that a friend of mine was slammed with two $45 tickets in a span of seven hours. I understand that the restrictions are meant to give extra room to emergency vehicles traveling down these streets; however, the citiesâÄô lack of communication and lavish ticketing is extreme. The University of Minnesota sent out an e-mail regarding these restrictions Feb. 22, which stated, âÄúEffective February 11, 2009 until April 1, 2009 or until conditions warrant a lifting of the restrictions (approximately 1.5 months or less).âÄù Thank you, Undergraduate Student Body President Paul J. Strain, for notifying us of last yearâÄôs policies one year and eleven days later. Regardless of when students were or were not notified of these changes, the parking regulations have and will continue to cost University students time and money. For those who cannot afford to park in a ramp or did not win the parking lottery, this restriction is becoming extremely costly. Students cough up enough as it is, so it would be nice to catch a break somewhere. Leslie Falk University undergraduate student