New CFANS dean announced

Brian Buhr will begin the position in June.

The University of Minnesota named Brian Buhr the new dean of the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences on Monday.

He will also serve as the new director of the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station. Buhr, who has served as interim dean and director since August, will take his posts in June, pending Board of Regents approval.

A search committee composed mostly of University deans, faculty members and students began reviewing applications for the positions in April after University leaders decided against merging CFANS with the College of Biological Sciences.

Candidates had to be tenured, full University professors to be considered for the roles. Buhr was the only finalist selected for the position.

Buhr started at the University as an applied economics professor more than two decades ago. He headed the Department of Applied Economics from 2008 until he took the interim position, according to a University release.

“I am confident, as are his colleagues, that Brian has the visionary leadership, administrative experience and academic strengths to provide superb leadership for CFANS and the Experiment Station,” Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Karen Hanson said in the release.

Buhr is following Allen Levine as the second dean of CFANS since the college was created in 2006.

As dean, Buhr will oversee CFANS’ more than 2,500 students and 1,000 faculty and staff members. 

For more on the selection process and Buhr’s new role, check out the full story in next Wednesday’s Minnesota Daily.