Africana members join together in support of Boston

Members of the Africana Student Cultural Center came together in a united front Tuesday, publishing an executive mandate calling for the renewal of McKinley Boston’s contract in June.
Boston, the vice president of student development and athletics, resigned Nov. 19 and will stay on until June 30. He announced the decision the same day the University released a 2,500-page report documenting widespread academic fraud within the men’s basketball program.
Students leading the charge against the University stated plans to “direct protest to the wrongs and injustices Dr. McKinley Boston is suffering at the hands of the University of Minnesota,” according to the Nov. 30 mandate.
Boston could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
Africana members said the University’s refusal to renew Boston’s contract exemplifies “the destructive forces that are in operation on the University of Minnesota’s Campus.”
University President Mark Yudof has repeatedly denied that racism played a factor in his decision to ask Boston to step down. He called the move very difficult and considers Boston a good friend.
Shortly after he tendered his resignation, Boston said his trusting, kind nature might have contributed to his inability to detect the wrongdoing in the men’s basketball program.
But Africana members said the loss of Boston’s position will create a leadership vacuum at the University, devoid of black role models.
“Students, faculty and staff are being robbed of black leaders whom have integrity and devotion to the University of Minnesota,” the mandate states.
Africana members said no evidence has surfaced proving Boston was involved in the academic misconduct that flourished in the men’s basketball program under former coach Clem Haskins’ reign.
In the mandate, the cultural center urged several Twin Cities organizations to join in the effort to keep Boston employed at the University next year.
Forty-two groups were listed, including the NAACP, the University’s Afro-American and African Studies department and several college student groups.
“We want to keep everything concentrated on McKinley Boston. Other issues will come to light in due time,” said Mufasa Fearce, an Africana Student Cultural Center board member.

Raiza Beltran welcomes comments at [email protected]. She can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3221.