Men’s golf advances to NCAA championships

Minnesota finished the NCAA Central Regional in a tie for fourth place, and will advance to the NCAA championships at Duke University from May 30 to June 2.

Freshman Justin Smith was the Gophers highest finisher, followed by All-Big Ten sophomore Wilhelm Schauman and freshman Simon Nash.

Women’s golf

Minnesota finished in 16th place at the NCAA Central Regional in West Lafayette, Ind., shooting a team score of 968 for three rounds. Tulsa won the regional with a team score of 904. The Gophers missed the cut for the NCAA championship by 28 strokes.

Jenny Bruun led Minnesota with a three-round total of 237 and placing 36th.

Men’s tennis

A day after upsetting No. 15 Alabama, Minnesota lost 4-1 to No. 12 Miami in the second round of the NCAA championships.

Jorge Duenas earned the lone win for the Gophers with a 6-2, 6-3 downing of the Hurricanes Tomas Smid at No. 2 singles.

Numerous injuries left Minnesota unable to field its full lineup at any point during the season, yet the Gophers finished 13-12 and played in their eighth straight national tournament.

Rowing

The Minnesota novice eight boat finished second in the grand final of the South/Central Sprints in Tennessee. The Gophers finished fourth overall in the team standings.

Big Ten teams dominated the regatta, with Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota and Michigan State finishing as the top five.

Softball

The Gophers ended their season with a 2-1 win over Wisconsin on May 6, finishing 36-22-1, 7-13 in the Big Ten.

Junior outfielder Tammi Hays was named first-team All-Big Ten after batting .331 with 37 runs, 55 hits and 22 stolen bases. She is the first Gopher outfielder to garner first-team all-conference honors since 1996. Hays and infielder Angel Braden were also named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Mideast Region second team.

Rookie hurler Piper Martin and sophomore designated player Anne Thul were named third-team All-Big Ten.

Marten set a Minnesota school record with 249 strikeouts this season and posted a 0.80 earned run average, the lowest team mark in 10 years.