Genocide awareness

Darfur genocide: 500,000 dead and no end in sight. We know that students across the world, more than any other group, have raised awareness about this tragedy. As the Daily reported on Jan. 26 , more first-year college students are âÄúpolitically engagedâÄù now than they have been in 40 years. Despite this amazing effort, for the past five years âÄî and right at this moment âÄî mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters are being killed in Darfur by their own Sudanese government. The genocide now is one of attrition, as nearly 3 million Darfur refugees are dying of disease, starvation and malnutrition. And then there is the tool of rape. Gender-based violence is being perpetrated on women and girls with a level of brutality we canâÄôt imagine âÄî with rape not only by bodies but also by burning sticks, guns and knives. In middle school we learned about the horrors of the Holocaust, and I know that in your 13-year-old heart you swore youâÄôd never let something like that happen again. âÄúNever AgainâÄù has happened again and again, in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, and now in Darfur, the first genocide of the 21st century. WeâÄôve become numb to the horrors of human tragedy. It seems so overwhelming that we shut it out completely because we donâÄôt know what to do. But there are things we all can do. When we see an accident on the highway, we pull out our cell phones and dial 911. And now we can all act to end genocide. There is a toll-free anti-genocide hotline. Call 1-800-GENOCIDE. ItâÄôs that simple. YouâÄôll be asked to enter your zip code. A recorded message will tell you what to say, and then you will be connected with your representative or senators. Ask them to help end this new centuryâÄôs first genocide. To learn more about the Darfur catastrophe, come to 25 Mondale Hall at the UniversityâÄôs Law School on Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. Hear Dr. Ashis Brahma , the only doctor for 25,000 Darfur refugees, talk about what he has seen and what we can do. There will always be bad things in our world: crime, poverty, hunger, violence. But genocide only exists as long as its perpetrators know the rest of the world will tolerate it and not react. Brittany Libra co-chair of STAND, a student anti-genocide coalition