Schleper named WCHA defensive player of the year

The No. 3 Minnesota women’s hockey program will be well represented on the All-WCHA Team this year, which was announced on Thursday.

Junior Emily West, freshman goalie Noora Raty and sophomore defender Anne Schleper were announced as All-WCHA First Team members. 

Schleper, who has tallied 11 goals and 19 assists this season, was named WCHA defensive player of the year. The St. Cloud native is fourth on the team in scoring, and is first among defenders. She is also third on the team with a plus/minus of +19.

West leads the team with 40 points, and the team is 16-1-0 when she scores a goal. Raty has played in just 22 games this season due to Olympic play and international tournaments, but still is among 10 finalists for the Patty Kazmaier award. The Finland native holds a 16-2-4 record this year and leads the nation with a 1.06 goals against average and .958 save percentage. 

Freshman Megan Bozek was named to the All-WCHA Second Team as well as the WCHA All-Rookie Team along with Raty. Bozek is second among Gophers defenders with 21 points, 17 coming on the power play.

Seniors Kelli Blankenship, Brittany Francis, Chelsey Jones, Michelle Maunu, Alexandra Zebro, along with sophomores Schleper, Alyssa Grogan and Nikki Ludwigson received WCHA-All Academic honors.