University to remember 9/11 after MSA rejects resolution

The U’s student government denied a resolution for a moment of silence.

Ethan Nelson

After the Minnesota Student Association rejected a resolution last week calling for a school-wide moment of silence on Sept. 11, the University of Minnesota said in a press release Wednesday it would move ahead with plans to remember the attack’s victims.

MSA members rejected the proposal, citing the lack of a clear plan for implementing the remembrance and its potential to create anti-Muslim sentiment on campus.

The press release didn’t say specifically how the school would remember 9/11.

MSA’s leaders are planning to address the issue at their next meeting, a statement from the group said. Some members received threats following the resolution’s rejection.

Evan Lapiska, a University spokesman, said the press release wasn’t a direct response to the proposal, adding that the school has discussed 9/11 remembrances in the past few months. 

In September, the Board of Regents held a moment of silence, and President Eric Kaler met with students to request a campus-wide moment of silence, the press release said.

Lapiska said the school leaders thought the timing was right to reaffirm that the University has been talking about remembrances for a while.

“Honoring those who died in 9/11 and respecting our Muslim community on campus are not mutually exclusive,” Kaler said in the release.