What we’d like to see from MSA

The best areas for MSA to make progress are the practical ones.

The Minnesota Student Association has asserted its power more often and more stridently in recent years. Last semester, it implemented an online landlord-review process for renters and made progress in getting more professor reviews public.

This semester offers more opportunities for MSA to further serve students.

In December, the 3rd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled that universities can, without losing federal funding, bar military recruiters from campuses because the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy violates the universities’ diversity policies.

That ruling does not apply to Minnesota, which is part of the 8th Circuit. Still, MSA should make its view known relative to on-campus recruiting by a discriminatory body. While student service is good for both the students and the military, “don’t ask, don’t tell” is unacceptable – and MSA should say so.

Another opportunity for MSA’s leadership deals with a possible on-campus stadium. Some at the Legislature feel a bill giving the University substantial support is certain to pass. This would almost certainly kick the process into high gear.

An on-campus football stadium would be great for the University community. Still, MSA must protect the student body from being overburdened by an excessive student-fee increase. Students can be called on to chip in, but the amount should be minimized and used only to finish an almost completed effort.

The best areas for MSA to make progress are practical ones. Continuing its push for a comprehensive and permanent late-night bus comes high in this agenda, as does making more progress in MSA’s goal of improving access to professor reviews. Finally, MSA should take a close look at deductible meal plans at University Dining Services.

That’s obviously a long list, and not all of these are achievable in one semester, but they all merit what attention MSA can give.