Women’s hockey sweeps Ohio State

Brett Angel

Until Saturday, the wins had come easy for Minnesota’s women’s hockey team.

The Gophers faced their biggest test so far this season in the second game of their weekend series against Ohio State at the Ohio State University Ice Arena in Columbus, Ohio, but passed with flying colors.

Minnesota (6-0-0, 4-0-0 WCHA) prevailed with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over the Buckeyes on Saturday night, and with a 4-0 shutout the night before increased its season-opening winning streak to six games.

“This is exactly what we needed,” Minnesota head coach Laura Halldorson said. “A couple of dogfights like this will benefit us down the road.”

Sophomore goaltender Brenda Reinen started her first game and earned her first victory of the season for the Gophers on Saturday, stopping 28 of 29 shots.

The stat sheet from Saturday’s game with the Buckeyes (2-4, 2-2) was even in virtually every category, but the Gophers came out on top in the only one that matters.

“The biggest positive is that we took four points on the road,” said Halldorson, who praised Ohio State’s “tenacious” style of play.

The Gophers are now alone in first place atop the Western Collegiate Hockey Association standings after top-ranked Minnesota Duluth tied Wisconsin over the weekend.

Minnesota begins a six-game homestand when Wisconsin comes to Ridder Arena on Friday night.

Women’s swimming and diving

Minnesota’s women’s swimming and diving team broke seven meet records in its first dual match of the season, beating Iowa State 175-122 in Ames, Iowa on Saturday.

Senior Keri Hehn led the way for the Gophers, breaking both the 100-yard breaststroke (1:03.59) and 200-yard breaststroke (2:16.79) meet records she had set the prior year when Minnesota hosted Iowa State. Fellow senior Dana Baum just barely broke the 50-yard freestyle record of 23.92 set in Nov. 1999, with her time of 23.86.

Also breaking meet records were juniors Megan Moore, who cracked the meet record for the 200-yard backstroke set in 1999 with a time of 2:04.07, and Shannon Jackson, who set the new 3-meter diving record at 292.12. Jackson claimed first place in the 1-meter diving competition as well. Freshman Kate Hardt took control of the 200-yard individual medley by setting a new meet record at 2:07.06.

The 200-medley relay team of Moore, Sarah Bohlsen, Hehn and Baum also set a meet record (1:46.98).

The Gophers face Florida Atlantic in Boca Raton, Fla., on Nov. 2, before returning home for a coed meet against North Dakota on Nov. 9.

Women’s CC perfect

minnesota’s women’s cross country team rested its top runners for next week’s Big Ten championships, but still recorded a perfect team score in the three-team Minnesota Open meet on Friday. Minnesota posted a score of 15.

Junior Krista Anderson led the Gophers sweep, winning the 5-kilometer race with a time of 19 minutes, 2.2 seconds. Senior Allison Mumbleau was second in 19:20.8 and freshman Amy Lindner grabbed third in 19:30.9. Senior Christine Harper (19:40.1) and sophomore Annie Wells (19:53.1) completed the top five..

Robeck wins CC race

minnesota sophomore Martin Robeck won the Marathon Sports 5K race held at Les Bolstad Golf Course, covering the course in 15 minutes, 59.2 seconds.