Bookstore to open in Stadium Village

The new bookstore will have the same ownership as the Student Bookstore in Dinkytown.
Bookstore to open in Stadium Village
Image by Ashley Goetz

Students will have another option when buying textbooks for the year when Stadium Village Bookstore opens Thursday. The new bookstore, which is located off Washington Avenue on Ontario Street in the Stadium Village Mall, is owned by Charlie Ward , who also owns the Student Bookstore in Dinkytown . Store manager Pradeep Denoronha said the new bookstore, which took about four months of construction to be completed, will provide similar products and services as the Dinkytown location. The store will sell both new and used textbooks, giving the students buyback opportunities, and will also offer a book rental program. Denoronha said he thought Stadium Village needed another bookstore. Though there are many students utilizing the services offered by the Student Bookstore in Dinkytown, Denoronha said many others are not taking advantage of the services. âÄúWe are targeting those students [in the Stadium Village area] since it is a long walk from there all the way to Dinkytown,âÄù he said. While some Stadium Village businesses like Subway and Espresso Royale have closed their doors in the past year, Denoronha is optimistic about the future of the new bookstore. Denoronha said he thinks they will survive with the good programs and products they offer, but most importantly, he said he thinks they will attract a lot of customers because of the locationâÄôs close proximity to TCF Bank Stadium. The bookstore will employ about 12 people with four of those being part-time staff. The Stadium Village Bookstore is only a block away from Oak Street Textbooks, which opened in 2006. Both bookstores offer similar services. University Bookstores director Bob Crabb said there will be plenty of business for everyone, and he welcomed the competition. âÄúThe more options for students, the better,âÄù he said. First-year student Melissa Duffy said she has been to a couple of the other bookstores and thinks the University Bookstore in Coffman Union has a great variety, but she will check out what the Stadium Village Bookstore has to offer. Economic and accounting junior Abdul Jama said he thinks the competition between the bookstores could bring prices down. âÄúThe more bookstores we have on campus, the less we pay,âÄù Jama said. Though Jama said he thinks the University Bookstore at Coffman Union and the Student Bookstore are more convinient, he said he is âÄúdown for anything that saves me money.âÄù