Burglar enters unlocked house in morning while residents sleep

At least one burglar walked into an unlocked house in Dinkytown on Thursday morning, stealing $110 in cash from women’s purses.
Two of the six roommates were at home sleeping in their bedrooms around 9 a.m. when the burglary reportedly took place. The two-story house is located on the 1000 block of 15th Avenue Southeast, and all six occupants are University students.
The burglar apparently entered the students’ home through an unlocked door and began rummaging through the residents’ belongings. No arrests have been made.
Kristine Kosiak, a sophomore studying business, said she was sleeping in her room on the first floor at the time of the burglary.
The residents said they believe the burglar entered through the front door that was left unlocked by a roommate who went to class earlier that morning.
Kosiak, 19, said the burglar took money from their purses as well as more than $10 in change. All of the money was taken out of the students’ bedrooms.
The women who were home sleeping at the time of the burglary had their bedroom doors closed but not locked.
Kosiak became aware of the burglary after speaking with Minneapolis police investigating other burglaries in the neighborhood.
Kosiak then notified her roommates, who searched through their belongings and discovered money was missing from their purses. The students reported the burglary to police at 11 a.m.
The students said they are not sure more than one burglar entered their home Thursday morning. Money was taken from bedrooms located on the first level and the main floor, Kosiak said.
A suspicious man came to the house earlier in the week and asked for someone not living at the residence, she said.

In other police news:
ù A University Police officer was offered a bribe from a 20-year-old man early Saturday morning at Church Street and Washington Avenue.
According to police reports, the underage man had been drinking when approached by police. The man then offered money to dissuade the officer from issuing a ticket for underage drinking.
The man was then cited with bribing a public official, according to police reports.

ù A man escaped from the back of a University Police squad car early Saturday morning.
The 20-year-old man had been drinking and ran from police. After a foot chase, the man was apprehended by University Police and brought to Hennepin County Medical Center because of his inebriated state, said University police detective Charles Miner.
The man was later released into his parent’s custody, according to police reports.

ù A car was stolen from a University parking lot near the Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative sometime between 11:30 p.m. Friday night and 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning.
The student-housing cooperative is located on the St. Paul campus.
The owner of the car reported the theft to police 7 a.m. Saturday morning.

Benjamin Ganje reports on police and welcomes comments at [email protected]. He can also be reached at 627-4070 x3225.