Thanks to SDS supporters

Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) at the University of Minnesota sends a warm thank you to all of you who supported us during the past semester. As many know, members of SDS at the University faced student conduct code charges for dropping banners at first-year convocation on Sept. 3, 2009. University administration was clearly threatened by students standing up against unjust policies and the further corporatization of our public universities. In an attempt to shut down dissent on campus, the University brought charges on SDS members and supporters. These charges included theft, disorderly conduct, misuse of University facilities and unauthorized access of a University building. We were charged without proof or evidence from the University that any particular individuals were involved. Furthermore, individual students were threatened by the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (OSCAI); one student was even told that he may not be able to graduate. The UniversityâÄôs attempts to halt our campaign for student power failed. Supporters internationally flooded the inboxes and voicemails of all the individuals in charge of the reprimands our chapter faced. Students from across the country called in, alumni showed their disapproval, faculty, graduate students, staff and grassroots organizations all demanded that the University drop their outrageous charges against SDS at the University. We thank you all who took the time to stand up for free speech and the right to dissent on our campuses. Victoriously, the University did drop the charges filed against five students. The remaining four settled with no mention of the charges on the record and had only to admit to disrupting the event. SDS members volunteered to do community service, which OSCAI thought would be an adequate âÄúpunishment.âÄù Our outstanding resolution was in no small part the result of the amazing outpouring of support. Thank you to all of you who helped put pressure on the University administration. The fight for education rights is just beginning here, but the administration now knows we will not be silenced. Resistance and struggle! In solidarity, Students for a Democratic Society, University of Minnesota