Spring break uniformity

All educational institutions should adopt similar spring break schedules.

Ronald Dixon

If you are like most students here at the University of Minnesota, you are probably excited for the upcoming spring break that begins Monday and ends March 22.

If you are attempting to plan a vacation or a get-together with friends or family, however, you will probably be frustrated.

I have never had to worry about this problem before, given the fact that I am a freshman, but, while collaborating with loved ones and friends regarding spring break schedules, I found myself getting frustrated as to how I was supposed to plan around the different schedules of several educational institutions.

Here is what I mean: We have our spring break during the third week of March, but several other schools select a different week or segment of March to give students their well-deserved vacations. For example, the Anoka-Hennepin School District, where I attended high school and where I still have friends and two stepbrothers, holds its break at the end of the first week of the month, into the second week. Anoka-Ramsey Community College, where more of my friends are attending school, utilizes the second week as well. My girlfriend, who studies at Hamline University, must wait until the fourth week of March before her vacation.

For me, this poses a Herculean task of attempting to plan around the schedules of my friends, family and girlfriend.

I am thankful that I only have to deal with Minnesota educational facilities, though. Several out-of-state students must consider multiple states or international concerns before establishing spring break plans.

The solution to this problem is rather simple: standardize spring breaks. This would make the planning of activities with friends and family much easier and more efficient.

A critique of this plan is that it would cause an overload of vacationers at travel destinations, such as the Bahamas, but I am sure that if they can accommodate the relatively uniform winter break travelers, they can handle a denser number of people in a shorter amount of time.

An agreement with schools, colleges and universities on the issue of spring break would benefit students and staff everywhere.