Expand Access to Success

The expansion of ATS would improve the University.

By 2013, students enrolled in the University of MinnesotaâÄôs Access to Success program may have access to more major and career choices. Vice Provost Robert McMaster will soon propose its expansion to every college on campus and all four years students are enrolled in the program. Currently the program only serves the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Education and Human Development and the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences and is only available to freshmen. Considering the success of ATS since its inception in 2008, such an expansion is welcome.

Once the domain of the now-defunct General College, ATS has served select freshmen in need of greater scholastic support over the past few years. With retention rates, grade point averages and average credits per semester comparable to other studentsâÄô campus-wide, ATS students have earned the opportunity to explore greater major and career options from the start, beyond what the program currently allows.

From the physical sciences to the Carlson School of Management, expanding ATS can bring greater diversity to classrooms across the University and ensure students enrolled receive the mentoring they need for their entire undergraduate career.

Through the promotion of academic success for low-income and nontraditional students, such an expansion would also demonstrate the UniversityâÄôs continued commitment to truly serving all of Minnesota. By admitting students with academic potential but not necessarily the best high school transcripts, expanding ATS gives those who may have otherwise fallen through the cracks a chance to succeed.