Gophers senior Tom …

Gophers senior Tom Chicoine lost to Purdue’s Jason Marshall in the Big Ten Singles Championship match in Madison, Wis., 7-7 (4), 6-1.
Chicoine, the No. 1 seeded player, defeated fourth seed Doug Bohaboy of Northwestern, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 to advance to the title match.
This marks a Gopher’s highest finish at the Big Ten Singles Indoor Championship since Ross Loel won the tournament in 1995.
Men’s track and field
Minnesota senior Tyler McCormick placed third in the high jump and senior Jon Anderson took third in the pole vault at the unscored Badger Track Classic in Madison, Wis. McCormick leapt 6 feet, 9-3/4 inches in the high jump, only two inches off the winning mark. Anderson recorded a height of 16-2 3/4, with sophomore Justin Asher sixth and senior Jeff Marsh seventh.
Men’s gymnastics
The Gophers men’s gymnastics team opened its 1999 season by finishing seventh at the Windy City Open Saturday night in Chicago, Ill. Iowa won the competition for its second straight Windy City title.
The highest finisher for Minnesota was senior Jason Krob, who posted a score of 9.700 on his specialty event, the pommel horse. His score was good enough to earn second place. The next highest Gophers finisher was junior Lindsey Fang, who scored a 9.550 on the vault.
Women’s swimming-diving
The No. 13 Minnesota women’s swimming and diving team defeated No. 8 Nebraska, 170-130, in a home dual meet on Saturday. The Gophers downed their second top-10 ranked opponent this season (the Gophers defeated then No. 7 Michigan in Nov.) by capturing firsts in nine of 16 events, but the winning margin was a result of the Gophers’ 28 top-three finishes of the allowable 48.
Minnesota diver T.D. Rowe won both diving titles, winning the 1-meter board with a score of 253.20 and the 3-meter at 310.73. Junior Terri Jashinsky was the only other double winner for the Gophers, winning the 100-yard butterfly in 55.42 seconds and swimming the third leg of the winning 200-yard medley relay clocked at 1:54.16.
Men’s swimming-diving
The No. 11 Minnesota men’s swimming and diving team defeated No. 14 Nebraska by a score of 171-129 Saturday at the Aquatic Center. The Gophers had eight first-place finishes out of 16 events.
Senior Martin Zielinski had two first-place finishes, winning the 100 back with a time of 49.45 and tying fellow teammate junior Ryan Crosby for first place in the 200 back with a time of 1:51.89.
Minnesota’s 200 medley relay team of Zielinski, junior Oscar Godoi, freshman Chad Krastins and freshman Ricardo Dornelas posted a first-place time of 1:29.86. It was a season best for the Gophers in that event and provisionally qualifies them for the NCAA championship meet in April.
Women’s Gymnastics
The No. 7 Minnesota women’s gymnastics team defeated No. 5 Michigan, 193.550-193.050, Friday in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Senior Cathy Keyser won the balance beam with a 9.8. Junior Judy Cavazos and freshman Catie Christensen tied for the floor exercise title with a 9.8. Cavazos also won the all-around with a score 38.900.