Contaminated water affects third U building

University students and faculty were still being cautioned Thursday about unsafe tap water that surfaced in campus buildings Wednesday afternoon, which was likely the result of seasonal maintenance being performed on one of the universityâÄôs water chiller systems. The water contamination on campus has been reported in Diehl Hall , Moos Tower and the Philips-Wangensteen Building. Dental clinic appointments in Phillips Wangensteen and Moos Tower were scheduled to resume Thursday at noon, but will remain canceled until Monday, according to a press release. However, classes and other business not dealing with dental appointments will not be canceled. The water in the three buildings is still reported as contaminated. But University spokesman Daniel Wolter said the water is no longer discolored or releasing any unusual smells. Much of Wednesday evening was spent flushing out the plumbing system to remove the odor and discoloration. Steve Llewellyn, Bio-Medical Library manager in Diehl, said the contamination hasnâÄôt had a large effect on the building or the staff. He said the building has shut off its drinking fountains. âÄúWeâÄôre still seeing the same traffic. Just the water fountains have been taped off,âÄù he said. âÄúWeâÄôre waiting for a notification from facilities that theyâÄôve flushed the lines and itâÄôs safe to go ahead.âÄù Unlike operations in Diehl Hall, things were not business as usual in Moos Tower. There, the water is setting back appointments that were rescheduled from Wednesday. âÄúWe will be reappointing patients and making every effort to get them in as quickly as possible,âÄù Claudia Kanter, a Dental School spokeswoman, said. Approximately 400 people had their appointments canceled due to the contamination, Wolter said. University officials have advised students and faculty to not drink the water, but they say it is still safe to use for hygienic purposes. No further reports have been made elsewhere on campus and additional contamination is highly unlikely since the three buildings are at the end of a water main. As of Thursday an ongoing investigation had not discovered the contaminationâÄôs cause.