Weekend Culture Compass – Mates of State, Lookbook and Christmas stuff

A&E plans your weekend. You’re welcome.
Weekend Culture Compass - Mates of State, Lookbook and Christmas stuff

Thursday Music âÄî Andrew Bird St. MarkâÄôs Cathedral 519 Oak Grove St., Mpls. 8 p.m. $29-32 Andrew Bird is an ace whistler and a fantastic fiddler. HeâÄôs doing a tour of churches and cathedrals on a whim, but be warned that heâÄôs focusing on instrumental pieces, and maybe his cover of Kermit the FrogâÄôs âÄúItâÄôs Not Easy BeinâÄô Green.âÄù (HeâÄôs playing St. MarkâÄôs for three nights, so if you canâÄôt make it to one heâÄôs got you covered.) Art âÄî Diva Inhabited Student Art Center, Augsburg 22nd Ave. S., Mpls. 7:30 p.m. free Greta Sundquist is one of our favorite local models; weâÄôre obsessed with her platinum blonde crop. SheâÄôs fierce on the runway and she can paint too âÄî who knew? Her senior art show, based around female nudes, is something A&EâÄôs had marked on their calendar. We love the texture and color she employs in her off-the-runway work. Music âÄî Caroline Smith & the Good Night Sleeps Bedlam Theater 1501 6th St., Mpls. 10 p.m. $5 The U’s Women’s Student Activist Collective is sponsoring A&E favorite local crooner, Caroline Smith, as well as Kitten Forever, DJ Shannon Blowtorch, The Vignettes and Raccoon Raccoon (who we instantly love for their “Ranger Rick” harkening name). We’d go just to see our girl Caroline, but the cause is worthy and the other bands sound just as promising as the Calpurnia Peach-wearing, Daytrotter Sessions-doing Ms. Smith & company. Shopping âÄî Uptown Boutique Crawl ATMOSFERE/COVERED/IVY/VSTATE/DRAMA Lagoon Ave. & Lake St. 5 p.m.-9 p.m. The Lagoon & Lake neighborhood bordering on Calhoun Square has become a fantastic local shopping district, with cutting edge menswear (Atmosfere) and fun, flirty cocktail dresses and denim from Ivy and Drama. Get 20% off your purchases at each store; if you make it to all five, you get a swag bag full of fabulous little prizes. Plus, weâÄôre pretty sure thereâÄôs champagne. Friday Music âÄî Steve Aoki Envy Nightclub 400 1st Ave. N., Mpls. 10 p.m. $10 Steve Aoki shows up on The Cobrasnake more often than not; heâÄôs a DJ, producer and hipster dude whose Japanese Olympic wrestler dad founded Benihana. When he isnâÄôt appearing in basketball video games, heâÄôs making remixes of Drake songs and brushing his long black hair. Theater âÄî Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris Bryant Lake Bowl 810 Lake St. W., Mpls. 9:30 p.m., $15 Before he was a best-selling humorist and frequent NPR guest with tongue firmly planted in cheek, David Sedaris worked as a Christmas elf and documented his experiences in a book of essays that was adapted as a one-man show. ItâÄôs much more fun to celebrate the holidays with snark than with sap, so check it out. Film âÄî Dance Film Project Intermedia Arts 2822 Lyndale Ave. S., Mpls. 7 p.m. $8-12 Various local dancers teamed up for this 22-work piece, which contemplates the nature of movement and its many incarnations. One takes place in a Minneapolis alley. We hope it is nothing like that âÄô80s Miami Sound Machine âÄúBad BoyâÄù video with Gloria Estefan and some male dancers dressed up like cats. WeâÄôre pretty sure itâÄôs not. Party âÄî Vita.mn’s Snowball Roller Gardens 5622 Lake St. W., St. Louis Park 9 p.m., $7 What better way to celebrate the holiday season than on roller skates? Vita.mn’s Alexis McKinnis (of Alexis on the Sexes) hosts this get-down party on wheels. Hopefully you learned how to do the limbo on skates when you were five, because you’ll probably be whipping out that party trick here. Red Stag Supper Club, a recent obsession of A&E, is making snacks to refuel you for another lap or six. Music âÄî Mark Farina Epic 11 5th St. N., Mpls. 10:30 p.m., $15 If Steve AokiâÄôs remixes and danceclub tracks arenâÄôt your thing, you could check out downtempo/house DJ Mark Farina instead. If you think about it this way, Steve Aoki is cocaine, then Farina is something a little bit more mellow and green. Music âÄî Heiruspecs, Black Blondie, MC/VL The Whole Music Club 300 Washington Ave. S.E., Mpls. 7:30 p.m. free All these celebrated local bands playing on campus for free? A little odd, huh? Heiruspecs sometimes gets overlooked in the shadow of Atmosphere and Brother Ali, but their live show is great and their upcoming album promises to be a bit more dance-friendly while still retaining a political aspect. Saturday Music âÄî Lookbook 7th St. Entry 701 1st. Ave. N., Mpls. 9 p.m. $6 The shoegazey guy-girl duo is celebrating the release of their remixes EP at the Entry with Nyteowl and We Became Actors. Music âÄî Viva Christmas! First Avenue 701 First Ave. N., Mpls. 6 p.m. $14-16 Uncle Jesse modeled himself after Elvis. And so does El Vez, the clever pseudonym of Robert Lopez. He will perform as the gold-suited King of Rock (with a bit more Latin flavor, perhaps) tonight at First Avenue, accompanied by a flock of ladies who call themselves the El Vettes. Elvis would approve. Film âÄîâÄùLet the Right One InâÄù Uptown Theater 2906 Hennepin Ave., Mpls. 11:45 p.m. tickets TBA Forget âÄúTwilightâÄù and even âÄúInterview with the Vampire.âÄù The real cult bloodsucker movie is SwedenâÄôs âÄúLet the Right One In,âÄù based on a novel of the same name about two children and one dirty, toothy secret. ItâÄôs been praised for its imaginative quality and inventive use of gore, making it a perfect midnight movie to see in the cold, dark winter. Music âÄî Mates of State Weisman Art Museum 333 East River Road 9 p.m. $22 Mates of State are totally married. Their version of domestic bliss is touring the nation and playing at campus art museums with their baby in tow, and weâÄôre cool with that. The Weisman has started a late-night music series and snagged the Mates to cut the proverbial ribbon. Dance âÄî âÄùThe Nutcracker (Not So) SuiteâÄù The Ritz Theater 345 13th Ave. N.E., Mpls. 7 p.m. $21-26 Girls, if you hate your boyfriend, you can force him to attend this holiday tradition in its full ballet splendor. But if you kinda like him, you guys could attend this tongue-in-cheek reimagining instead. ItâÄôs a lot cheaper than the Tchaikovsky version and probably a little more dude-friendly. Film âÄî âÄúWhite ChristmasâÄù Heights Theater 3951 Central Ave. NE., Mpls. I have two favorite Christmas songs and Bing CrosbyâÄôs legendary âÄúWhite ChristmasâÄù is one of them. The song came from a Bing movie called âÄúHoliday InnâÄù and was so popular it spawned a cinematic sequel, aptly titled âÄúWhite Christmas.âÄù Bing CrosbyâÄôs voice is golden enough to melt even the coldest, Grinchiest heart.