Money over morals?

Carlson should look for a leader who puts students first, not a huge paycheck.

The Carlson School of Management is in need of a new dean, and theyâÄôre willing to pay big money âÄî what they call âÄúmarket rateâÄù âÄî for one. While the search is underway, good values should be put ahead of money.

A dean works closely with students and should have respectable morals and ethics to pass on and present to the students. The college is willing to pay a high salary because theyâÄôre looking for a leader with excellent corporate and academic qualities, but putting a giant dollar sign on the job could attract candidates for the wrong reasons. If a candidate will take the job for $500,000 but will turn it down if it pays $300,000 or even $400,000, the University of Minnesota should ask itself whether it really wants a candidate with that kind of character âÄî especially as the head of a school that teaches business ethics to thousands of young people.

The previous dean of Carlson earned $477,000, which is significantly higher than some of the other deans at the University. The dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the UniversityâÄôs largest college, made $245,000 last year.

Each collegeâÄôs dean works for and with the students, so paying one dean much more than another does not make sense, especially when the salary doesnâÄôt correspond to the size of the college.

The corporate world should not factor into the new deanâÄôs salary. Competing with the private sector is not the role of a public university.

The search committee should look for candidates who would inspire students and take the job without such a high salary. A dean should be someone who sets a good example for the students, not someone who only does the job for the money.