Buchanan speaks at U after St. Kate’s controversy

Buchanan
Image by Matt Mead
Buchanan

A day after a media blitz surrounding a declined appearance at the College of St. Catherine, Bay Buchanan spoke at Coffman Union on Wednesday night. The former U.S. Treasurer joins a long list of political players whoâÄôve appeared this fall at the University of Minnesota, a well-traveled stop along the campaign trail this election season. Her University appearance was scheduled prior to the St. KateâÄôs controversy. âÄúWhen students are coming to college, they expect to have a dynamic discussion of political issues,âÄù University spokesman Dan Wolter said. And as a public institution, he added, thatâÄôs what the University delivers. But itâÄôs different for private schools, who must adhere to strict, if not ambiguous, tax codes that threaten tax-exemptions for schools that âÄúparticipate in, or intervene inâÄù political campaigns. While student groups, like the St. KateâÄôs College Republicans, which invited Buchanan to their campus, are unaffected by tax rules meant for institutions, overarching school policies still apply. Buchanan, the youngest person to ever hold the U.S. Treasurer post and an outspoken supporter of the McCain/Palin ticket, was invited for âÄútea and conversationâÄù Wednesday afternoon, to discuss feminism in this election. But the school intervened, citing a decision made earlier this fall to remain nonpartisan on campus âÄî meaning, to not have political speakers of any persuasion without a complementary guestâÄôs appearance shortly thereafter, St. KateâÄôs spokeswoman Amy Gage said. But in election season, candidates and stumpers offering to stop by campus often give short notice. Sen. Hillary Clinton couldâÄôve appeared a day before Buchanan, satisfying the bipartisan guidelines. However, ClintonâÄôs representative contacted the school only shortly before her would-be arrival, long after officials had put the kibosh on BuchananâÄôs visit. âÄúWhatâÄôs coming out in the press is that we nixed Bay Buchanan. In fact what happened is that we made a decision as a college earlier this election season to remain nonpartisan [on campus],âÄù Gage said. âÄúOnce we started down that path, we had to stick with it.âÄù The political balance the policy mandates had been a standard long before this especially volatile election season, Gage said. âÄúI donâÄôt see that changing,âÄù she added, noting politicians are welcome to speak at St. KateâÄôs after Election Day. Buchanan ultimately spoke at an off-campus restaurant. The school isnâÄôt trying to stifle political discourse, Gage said, citing discussions between students and forums held for them to talk politics. But, to some tied to the event, declining BuchananâÄôs visit isnâÄôt in line with stimulating political thought. Renee Zeman , chairman of the St. KateâÄôs College Republicans, said the schoolâÄôs apolitical philosophy isnâÄôt responsible. âÄúThe face that the college just kind of said âÄòNoâÄô to [political speakers] is just kind of like burying our heads in the sand this election season,âÄù she said. âÄúI donâÄôt think thatâÄôs going to get us anywhere.âÄù