Video: MSA candidates square off

There are two pairs vying for the roles of president and vice president.

Watch live streaming video from mndaily at livestream.com

The Minnesota Student Association candidates for next year’s president and vice president positions are gearing up for a debate Tuesday night.

The debate will take place in the Whole Music Club from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Minnesota Daily will also live stream the debate on its website.

Colter Heirigs and Taylor Williams will square off to prove which should become MSA’s next president.

Angela Ugorets and Jilian Koski are up for the position of vice president on Heirigs’ and Williams’ tickets, respectively.

Heirigs and Ugorets’ campaign focuses on student rights and access to facilities and resources.

Heirigs said he thinks libraries on campus should stay open longer to accommodate more students’ schedules. He also wants to create a policy to protect students calling for help regarding underage drinking.

Williams also wants to implement a similar policy change that exempts students who call for help regarding overconsumption of alcohol from underage drinking citations.

His campaign with Koski also centers on campus safety and “making students matter.” The pair will advocate for more street lamps and police officers on campus and plan to play a larger role in advocating for students.