Culture compass: Bell, bands and boots

Friday: BellMuseum Garage Sale

Raid the Bell Museum of Natural History’s leftovers and overstock as they prepare to move to the St. Paul campus.

While no specimens or dioramas will be for sale, you’re likely to find the perfect gift for the history nerd or science geek in your life.

Where: Bell Museum of Natural History, 10 Church St. SE, Minneapolis

When: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Cost: Free for University of Minnesota students and staff

Saturday: 55th Annual Marching Band Indoor Concert

See the University of Minnesota’s famed marching band on a real stage, and not the field of TCF Bank Stadium.

Saturday’s concert will be held as an Alumni Night, where 125 years of alumni will be honored in accordance with the band’s 125th anniversary.

Where: Northrop, 84 Church St. SE, Minneapolis

When: 7 p.m.

Cost: $20 – $30

Sunday: Real Numbers LP Release Show

Local band Real Numbers will perform, along with Teenage Moods, Universel and DJ Shawn Reed, at 7th Street Entry to celebrate the release of their new LP — “Wordless Wonder.” Proceeds from the event will be donated to Free2Be, an organization dedicated to advocating for LGBTQ youths’ rights in the South.

Where: 7th Street Entry, 701 N 1st Ave., Minneapolis

When: 7:30 p.m.

Cost: $6 (18+)

CULTURE TO CONSUME

Wear this: Doc Martens 1460 boots

I bought my first pair of Docs a few weeks ago. After pushing through the painful break-in period, I haven’t stopped wearing them. They go with almost anything, and the thick treads are perfect for maneuvering the slush and snow of winter. Grab waterproofing polish to outfit them for the winter and check out the vegan leather options if you’re not interested in traditional animal products.

Download this: Forest

Thanksgiving weekend is a time to be spent with family and friends. As easy as it is to get distracted by smartphones at the dinner table, use an app like Forest to provide motivation for not checking your notifications. If you spend a certain amount of time without looking at your phone, a new plant will grow. If not, the plant will be killed. Maybe this is a childish form of motivation for something that should be easy to avoid, but whatever works, right?

Read this: “No Matter the Wreckage”

This collection of poems by Sarah Kay, a spoken word poet and writer, is the perfect choice for long road trips or flights between campus and home. Separated into nine chapters with simple illustrations between each section, “No Matter the Wreckage” discusses love, loss and youth.