January PPERIA meeting notes

Prospect Park East River Road Improvement Association president Dick Poppele said the Neighborhood Revitalization Project (NRP) will convene during the fourth week of February to discuss the process that the neighborhoods would like to use to select their representatives. There will be eight people representing the 83 neighborhoods and Poppele proposed that one of the representatives should be from the University District Alliance neighborhoods. One representative from every neighborhood is encouraged to attend. Dean Abrahamson gave a report on the Luxton Book Exchange program which serves primarily young teens. He said they are in need of reference books like dictionaries and atlases. A motion was passed to make the Luxton Book Exchange an official PPERIA committee. University student Charles Carlson announced that he will be running opposite Cam Gordon for the Ward 2 city council spot. He said he has already started canvassing the neighborhood. Joe Bernard from the Department of Community Planning & Economic Development (CPED) presented a report of possible ways to improve the neighborhood. He mentioned a strategy that Ohio State University uses where they shame landlords on the schools website by keeping track of each landlord’s infractions. There was a consensus that relative homesteading is the biggest threat to the neighborhood and Florence Littman said the people who take advantage of this law should be required to have a rental license. Then the topic of binge drinking amongst college students was brought up, and people started trying to brainstorm ideas on how to stop it. Ideas ranged from denying any more liquor licenses in the campus area to trying to further educate students.