U film studies senior remembered as a caring and kind friend

The student, who died in a car accident, was the son of two University faculty members. The visitation is tonight.

Keith Ohlendorf, a University film studies senior and the son of two University faculty members, died Friday. He was 26.

Ohlendorf, of Eden Prairie, Minn., died from injuries suffered in a car accident.

He enjoyed watching and critiquing movies, and hoped to someday teach film studies at the college level, friend Sam Rodgers said.

He also enjoyed videogames and worked part time at a videogame store so he could try new games and get discounts, his father, Douglas Ohlendorf, said.

His son was so good at videogames such as GoldenEye 007 that he played his friends using his toes on the controllers instead of his hands – and still won, Douglas Ohlendorf said.

He said his son was especially passionate about his friends.

“Keith was the kind of guy who, if a friend called at 3 a.m. with a bad situation, he would leave at 3:01 a.m. to get them,” he said.

Keith Ohlendorf had a wide network of friends, Rodgers said.

“Keith introduced me to virtually everyone I know,” Rodgers said. “All the people I call friends came from my association with him and his outgoing personality.”

Keith Ohlendorf always invited his friends for big family dinners on the holidays, Rodgers said.

He was born Sept. 24, 1977, in Belleville, Ill. He graduated from Hopkins High School in 1995.

Douglas Ohlendorf is a professor in the University’s department of biochemistry, molecular biology and biophysics. Keith Ohlendorf’s mother, Cathleen Earhart-Ohlendorf, is a research assistant in the same department.

Keith Ohlendorf was engaged to Emily Burton, a first-year law student at the University.

The visitation is tonight from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Albin Chapel, 6855 Roland Road, Eden Prairie. The funeral is 2:30 Wednesday at Wooddale Church, 6630 Shady Oak Road, Eden Prairie.

Memorials are preferred to the University Film Society.