“Talentless” law students take on Shakespeare

The drama-filled and comedic performance will begin at 7:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday

More than 100 âÄútalentlessâÄù University of Minnesota Law School Students will perform a Shakespeare inspired musical, âÄúA Midsemester NightâÄôs Dream,âÄù this weekend at Pantages Theatre in Downtown Minneapolis. The eighth annual musical is a product of the Theatre of the Relatively Talentless (TORT) student organization, put on by Minneapolis-based law firm, Leonard, Street and Deinard. It is written, directed and produced by current University law students who are also encouraged to sing, act and dance, regardless of performing ability. T.O.R.T. made their debut in 2003 because the law students wanted a âÄúcreative release and a chance to do something other than law,âÄù co-producer Michael Pangborn said. Past performances have included âÄúItâÄôs a Wonderful Law School,âÄù âÄúRobin Hood, Esq.,âÄù and âÄúFrankenlaw,âÄù which have featured influential figures from former Vice President Walter Mondale to Sen. Amy Klobuchar. Continuing this T.O.R.T. tradition, this yearâÄôs musical will feature another cameo by Mondale at Friday nightâÄôs performance, appearing along with U.S. District Court Judge John R. Tunheim, and the Law School Dean, David Wippman. The drama-filled and comedic performance will begin at 7:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and will include âÄúlove tanglesâÄù and riffs between first and third-year law students. âÄú[WeâÄôre] able to make fun of the law school,âÄù Pangborn said. âÄúThis is our one weekend to have fun.âÄù