No resolution after hearing; White again says he’s leaving U

The freshman basketball player’s trespassing case will likely go to trial.

Freshman basketball player Royce White said he plans to withdraw from the University of Minnesota this week after a Monday court hearing failed to bring a resolution to his legal issues. WhiteâÄôs attorney, F. Clayton Tyler, said theyâÄôd hoped the case would be resolved at MondayâÄôs arraignment, but negotiations with prosecutors were unable to produce a resolution âÄúamenable to both sides.âÄù A pretrial has been scheduled for Feb. 9, after which Tyler expects the case to go to trial. Tyler told reporters outside of a downtown Minneapolis courtroom that they plan to contest the three misdemeanor trespassing charges White faces as the result of an investigation into the Nov. 7 theft of a laptop from a Territorial Hall dorm room. White, who said he was âÄúdisappointed in how it turned out today,âÄù said that since the case is going to trial he probably wouldnâÄôt be allowed to play and that he doesnâÄôt want to risk another negative on-campus incident. âÄúItâÄôs all about perception. Anything can happen a certain way, and I donâÄôt want the perception to be that IâÄôve done anything wrong if I really havenâÄôt. I just donâÄôt want to risk that, so itâÄôs best for me to just go home,âÄù White said. White hasnâÄôt played this season after being suspended indefinitely Nov. 3 following an Oct. 13 incident at the Mall of America. White later pleaded guilty to charges of theft and disorderly conduct in connection with the case. This isnâÄôt the first time White has announced his departure from the team. White said in a YouTube video posted Dec. 17 that he intended to leave college basketball. In that video, White left open the possibility of his return. âÄúIt would take something big for me to go against the decision to leave college basketball,âÄù White said in the video. âÄúAs of right now, IâÄôm leaving college basketball.âÄù But White never filed the necessary paperwork to leave the team, and he began practicing in January. On Monday, White said he âÄúdefinitelyâÄù plans to leave the school and that nothing will change his mind. White said he will not transfer to another university, and any future plans, including playing in Europe, have yet to be decided. A spokesman for the UniversityâÄôs athletics department said there would be no official comment until White takes the necessary steps to file for withdrawal from the University. According to the criminal complaint filed by the Minneapolis City AttorneyâÄôs Office, White was in Territorial Hall the night of the laptop theft and entered multiple rooms uninvited. One witness told University police that White came into her room and said, âÄúHey, IâÄôm Royce. Do you know who I am?âÄù The witness said White left her room after she asked him to leave. Other witnesses told police similar stories. The complaint stated that White told investigators he goes to the dormitory to meet new people. âÄúPeople walk into dorm rooms, as they allege, all the time and talk to people. TheyâÄôve charged it as trespass,âÄù Tyler said. âÄúI think the charge is a little overstated.âÄù White, who has maintained his innocence throughout the investigation, spoke critically of University police Monday. âÄúI feel like they dealt with the situation irresponsibly,âÄù White said. White also said he doesnâÄôt feel safe on campus âÄúbecause I really donâÄôt feel like the police have to answer to anybody, so it makes me wonder what theyâÄôll be allowed to do.âÄù